Enjoy walking in the bushes, savannas and moorlands of Mount Kenya for four days. Have fun camping on different points throughout the hike and spend nights with the wild. Mount Kenya is the only place where the sun rises and sets at the same time. Different routes leading to Lenana, the best view point in Kenya where you can see the magnificent Indian Ocean which we call “giant mirror”, ridges, cliffs and unique spires. Let’s strive to get to the Summit together with big time safaris!
- Waterproof rucksack with day pack
- Sleeping bag (covering at least 3 seasons)
- Roll mats and insulation pads
- Comfortable hiking boots, light walking trainers thongs (flip – flops)
- Gaiters (useful when encountering snow)
- Wooden walking stick / ski pole
- Sunglasses or snow, goggles, sun hat, balaclava or woolen hat
- Warm scarf, gloves, mittens and thermal underwear
- Sweaters / jumpers, anorak / raincoat, water and windproof pants, jackets, t-shirt, several pairs of socks
- Long sleeved shirt with collar, small towel, toiletries and toilet paper
- Sunscreen and lip salve
- First aid kit and insect repellent
- Flash light (head mounted preferable) and spare batteries
- Pocket knife
- Water bottle
- Whistle, some plastic bags
- Camera with spare film and batteries
- Notepad with pen/pencil
- Park Fees
- All meals while trekking
- Accommodation while in the mountain in bandas and camps.
- Drinking Water
DDAY 1: NAIROBI – SIRIMON GATE – OLD MOSES CAMP
Leave Nairobi at 7:00 am accompanied by your mountain guide and using a public transport for mountain hiking through Sirimon gate. We shall take a two hour walk to the Old Moses campsite which is 3,300 meters above sea level. Here, we shall have bush dinner and a sleep over at the camp.
DAY 2: OLD MOSES CAMP – SHIPTON CAMP.
On this day, we wake up very early in the morning to proceed with our hiking. Logically, we could be lucky to encounter some wildlife. The natural vegetation is really refreshing too. It shall take us six hours to get to Shipton camp which is 4,200 meters above sea level. A brief stopover for picnic lunch in Mackinders Valley, then we will have 3 hours to ascend to Shipton Camp just below the main peaks of Batian and Neilon, where we relax, have our dinner and accommodation.
DAY 3: SHIPTON CAMP – POINT LENANA – SHIPTON CAMP.
Leave the camp very early in the morning at 0200am to attempt the summit and get there before sunrise. At day break be at the summit for amazing and awesome views, it will be very exciting as we shall take photos being at the top, which will make very nice memories. Afterwards, our walk moves back to the shipton camp for relaxation, dinner and overnight.
DAY 4: SHIPTON CAMP – OLD MOSES – SIRIMON GATE – NAIROBI.
This is the final day of our hiking. Breakfast will be provided by the chef at the camp, after which we proceed with the hiking, down to Sirimon gate, as we talk about the unforgettable four days of an experience in the wild, and away from all the hustles of the town.stination.