Enjoy walking in the bushes, savannas and moorlands of Mount Kenya for five days. Have fun camping on different points throughout the hike and spend night in the wild. Mount Kenya is the only place where the sun rises and sets at the same time. Different routes leading to Lenana, the best view point in Kenya where you can see the magnificent Indian Ocean which we call “giant mirror”, ridges, cliffs and unique spires. Let’s strive to get to the Summit together with big time safaris!
- Waterproof rucksack with day pack
- Sleeping bag (covering at least 3 seasons)
- Roll mats and insulation pads
- Comfortable hiking boots, light walking trainers thongs (flip – flops)
- Gaiters (useful when encountering snow)
- Wooden walking stick / ski pole
- Sunglasses or snow, goggles, sun hat, balaclava or woolen hat
- Warm scarf, gloves, mittens and thermal underwear
- Sweaters / jumpers, anorak / raincoat, water and windproof pants, jackets, t-shirt, several pairs of socks
- Long sleeved shirt with collar, small towel, toiletries and toilet paper
- Sunscreen and lip salve
- First aid kit and insect repellent
- Flash light (head mounted preferable) and spare batteries
- Pocket knife
- Water bottle
- Whistle, some plastic bags
- Camera with spare film and batteries
- Notepad with pen/pencil
- Park Fees
- All meals while trekking
- Accommodation while in the mountain in bandas and camps.
- Drinking Water
DAY 1: NAIROBI – OLD MOSES CAMP.
Leave Nairobi at 7:45 am with a public bus or matatu to Nanyuki town,few minutes as the guide, porters and cook do shopping for the 5 days hiking, proceed to Sirimon gate to commence the hiking. We shall take a two hour walk to the Old Moses campsite which is 3,300 meters above sea level. Here, we shall have bush dinner and a sleep over at the camp.
DAY 2: OLD MOSES -SHIPTON CAMP.
On this day, we wake up very early in the morning to proceed with our hiking. Logically, we could be lucky to encounter some wildlife. The natural vegetation is really refreshing too. It shall take us six hours to get to Shipton camp which is 4,200 meters above sea level. A brief stopover for picnic lunch in Mackinder’s Valley, then we will have 3 hours to ascend to Shipton Camp just below the main peaks of Batian and Neilon, where we relax, have our dinner and overnight.
DAY 3: SHIPTON CAMP – AUSTRAIN HUT.
Depart at 7:00 am and continue with the hiking activity. On our way, we get to learn about the eco environment from the guide, which also includes some of the medicinal plants and where they could be used. It surely will be adventurous four hours walks to Austrain hut, where we then again get to relax, have our meals, and a sleep over.
DAY 4: AUSTRIA HUTS – POINT LENANA – MERU BANDAS.
Leave the camp very early in the morning after breakfast for the rest of the hike. This is the day of the summit and we must get there before sun rise for amazing views from all the direction and this will be very exciting. We shall take photos being at the top, which will make very nice memories. Afterwards, our walk moves on to the Meru- Mount Kenya bandas which will take approximately six hours. At the Bandas, we have a group recoup of what we learnt for the purposes of team building and sharing of knowledge. Hot coffee will be offered, after which a bush dinner shall be enjoyed. The night will be spent here.
DAY 5: MERU BANDAS – NAIROBI
This is the final day of our hiking. Breakfast will be provided by the chef at the bandas, after which we proceed with the hiking, down to Chogoria, as we talk about the unforgettable five days of an experience in the wild, and away from all the hustles of the town.